Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Model 14's vs. 15's

  1. #1
    Inactive Member v847's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2003
    Posts
    32
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    I wonder if anyone could elaborate the differences between these two models?

    Why did they switch??

    Thanks,
    V

  2. #2
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by v847:
    I wonder if anyone could elaborate the differences between these two models?

    Why did they switch??

    Thanks,
    V
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Lets start with looks....The 14 looks like a smaller version of the 19...I always thought the 19 was sharp looking. The 15's are just a box abou the size of the 14's bottom box.

    As for components. Woofers are the same (at least compared to the later model 15's. The earlier versions used a stamped steel version of the woofer, while the later versions used a cast aluminum version. Cross-overs I think are pretty much identical. The 15's use a 802-8G driver with the 31B curved radial horn. The 14's use a 902 driver with a MR931-12 mantaray horn.

    I have NOT done any side by side comparisons, but I suspect the 14's do a better job in the upper frequencies with larger off-axis sweet spot. I don't think Altec would have dropped the 15's if the 14's weren't better.

    I rebuilt my 15's using the same components, but a taller skinnier cabinet. I've always thought about switching the horn to the MR931-12. Not sure if it would be worth switching.

    I'd like to hear if any one has ever done a side by side comparison.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Jim Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    121
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I too have wondered what the sonic differences beween the Model 15 and 14 are. If anyone has done a comparison it would be great to hear about it.
    JIm Butler

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.